Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mt. Nebo

Jonathan's brother is in town this week, and we wanted to hike to the peak of Mt. Nebo with him.  I got my water bladder just in time!

The views were just wonderful today.


This is a long hike.  And I'm not in super great hiking shape. 


But it was really fun, and really beautiful. 


We ran into a nice trail mate.  His name was Larry, and he gave us some moleskin when one of my ankles started to blister.  Really nice guy.  Comes up and hikes peaks all the time on Saturdays.  Probably 70 or so.


Things get pretty desolate up there at the top!  Lots of rocks.  Because of the altitude change, you start to feel dizzy and I kept listing to one side.  The side that went down, of course!  I ended up going kind of diagonally to feel safe. 


There's our destination! 


Not only does the air get thin to breathe, but you're closer to the sun, and it just BEATS down on you.  I put a LOT of sunscreen on. 


And we made it!  Mt. Nebo peak, 11,928 feet.  What a fun feeling!  This is the first time I've done a peak, and I definitely want to do it again! 


The only problem??  Then you have to get back down.  After another liberal application of sunscreen and some food and water, down we went! 


This was a great experience!

No comments: