Thursday, November 7, 2013

Comedy of Errors

Seriously.  Today was my departure for Portland to see old Minnesota friends, Kim and Emily.  Emily lives up in Portland and Kim came up from Arizona.  I left for the airport in plenty of time, expecting to have a nice, leisurely wait at the airport.  The plan was to get some dinner and sit and read.  Well.  I went up to my mom's house to grab one of my birthday gifts that had accidentally shipped there, and headed out to the airport.  I get to the parking lot, pull out my credit card to park, and find that my drivers license is not in my wallet.  All of a sudden, I remember with perfect clarity that it's sitting on my kitchen island.  Holy smokes.  So I raced through the parking garage and booked it back home.  I hoped I didn't miss my flight, but they wouldn't have let me in anyway without my license.  I flew home, breaking all kinds of speed limit laws, grabbed the darn license, put it in my pocket, and booked it back to the airport.  I got there, found a parking spot, and raced inside.  In the wrong terminal.  Ugh.  Luckily, after getting through security I saw that my flight had been delayed, so my trek literally across the airport wasn't going to make me miss my flight.  I finally got to the gate area, stopped at Wendy's, only to find that my WALLET wasn't in my purse.  I knew I had had it, as I had paid for parking with the credit card that was in it.  I panicked.  Of course.  I didn't know if I had enough time to make it back to my car, parked at the wrong terminal and back through security in time.  I checked with the gate agent on the delay, and she very kindly offered to watch my bags, which she's not supposed to do, while I literally RAN through the airport.  All the way out to the car, where I couldn't find my wallet.  I stood there after looking everywhere, thinking...I am going to have to cancel all my cards, etc.  I said a quick prayer, and went around to the driver's side, opened up the door, looked around, nothing.  Just as I'm going to close the door and give up hope, another quick frantic prayer, I look down, and it was in the little compartment on the door...whew!  I grabbed it and RAN back to security.  There they stopped me and informed me that my license had expired.  Oh, for heaven's sake.  At this point, I'm starting to wonder if I'm not supposed to be on the plane.  I finally made it back to the gate, grabbed my bags, grabbed a frosty and fries from Wendy's, just in time to get in line to get on the plane.  I have NEVER had such a horrible time getting on a plane.  And I have flown a lot!  And I was by myself!  It was crazy.  Luckily the flight itself was uneventful, and I made it to Portland and Emily safely.  Yay!  

No comments: