Friday, February 17, 2017

Donut Falls

We took the girls up to the canyons for a little hike to Donut Falls.  The day was absolutely gorgeous.


There was much exploring to be done, with streams and rivers as the snow begins to think about melting 


We finally made our way up to the cave where the water is falling through the donut, and it was kind of creepy to climb in!  The girls all hesitated, and I encouraged them, then when I got there, realized I needed encouragement, too!


There was just a slick little ledge going in to the dark wet cave!


It was absolutely gorgeous, though.  There were the lightest little flurries and overcast skies.  I figured I would document myself before I took the plunge!


When I finally got down inside (by scooting on my bum!), it was incredible.  The water fall goes right through the cave, and crawling into it is really only possible and safe when it's winter!


We crawled back to the back of the cave and set the phone up so it would take a family picture.  We had to wade through several inches of water, and as we stood there behind the falls, they sprayed us the whole time.


We were able to convince Leiden to take a picture of us...and prayed the whole time she wouldn't drop the phone!


We had to climb along a little ledge to stay out of water, and it was precarious.


Coming back down was fun, too.  We had a couple hiking poles, but they weren't super useful on the packed in snow.


Then the best part, I fell and went down a stretch on my backside!  My boots are terrible, and I mean terrible.  They have no traction and they hurt my arches.  This was really just the most obvious of my falls!

This was SUCH a fun family activity today.  The girls were a little whiny at the beginning, but we were able to keep their attention and keep them moving.  I love all of them!

No comments: