Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Happy Pioneer Day!

We had invited my family over for dinner, and Tara sent this photo this afternoon.  A wildfire had started up on the hill a couple streets down from my parents house, and was spreading around the mountain.  Even getting really close to a couple houses that border empty lots.  My parents weren't able to get down the hill because the fire department had blocked off traffic on the boulevard.  I was initially concerned because there was fire coming up on houses, and the FD wouldn't let people get out, but I suppose they were carefully monitoring, and the fire hydrants were on the opposite side of the boulevard of the fire.  WHY are they not on both sides??  So there was a chance my parents wouldn't be able to make it out for dinner, and maybe not at all.  And my mom was the one with the food!


 It took a couple hours, but they were finally cleared to come down the hill after the FD contained the fire enough for their liking.  Dinner was a bit later than we had anticipated, but we were just glad to be able to get together at all!


I love fireworks, and I'm glad we did all this today because we didn't do anything for the 4th!


Thomas and the girls played outside in the pool and with the hose for a while while dinner cooked.


After our own show, the neighbors in the circle down the street had their enormous show.  They spend THOUSANDS of dollars on aerials, and then rig them so they only have to light once and the spark catches them one by one.  It's seriously almost as good as a public park display, without the crowds!


Happy Pioneer Day!  We are so blessed by their sacrifices.

No comments: