Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bread Making

So I've been trying to be a little better at using some of my food storage, to get it rotating through my family's diet. So this week, I got really ambitious and decided to make my own bread. Unfortunately I only have a hand grinder, which in an emergency situation would be invaluable. In every day life, it is not convenient. But, it's all I have, so Leiden and I took turns. She was a trooper, starting out standing up,


Then moving to sitting down,


And then things start to get more difficult. Love the facial expression, and love the ratty hair, too.


We perservered, and these were the loaves rising in the oven.


The bread was actually really good--more like store bought wheat bread than any I've ever made, so the recipe is a keeper. We'll just have to keep our eyes on the Kitchenaid Grain Mill on Ebay. That would make my bread making go so much more smoothly!

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I just tried to make homemade wheat bread for the first time the other day, with a recipe I found online...did NOT turn out great! Would you email me your recipe? My mother-in-law got a new electric wheat grinder and was fabulous enough to give me her old one. It's quite loud, but VERY fast, it's great to have.