Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

This morning was the half marathon!  There were A TON of photographers along the sides of the race, this time, and they actually snapped some decent ones of me!


This race was tough.  I had definitely not trained enough.  There was A LOT of walking, especially towards the end.  But I finished, and that was truly my only goal!  Now to hope I don't hurt for a week!  This picture was coming in to the finish line.  I had about HAD it, but managed to run the last little bit.


My biggest problem, though?  I was FREEZING!  It was only about 30 degrees at the end of the race, and as soon as I wasn't moving around any more, I simply couldn't warm up enough.  I headed straight up to my parents' house, where I showed off my finisher medal.  This one was pretty dang cool.  BIG, and glittery!  After this picture I took a hot shower, and literally sat down on the shower floor and ran out the water heater, as hot as I could take it to get my core temperature back up.



Then of course, we needed a couple things at the store, so I headed there quick.  The leaves on the trees were still SO pretty, even this late in the season.  There was this pretty variegated row that I just had to snap a picture of.


Today was also the ending of our Thankful Tree.  This is what it looked like after we put our last leaves on it.


Today I took all the leaves off and made note of the girls ideas.  These were Mimi's, which were so cute with her being so interested in writing.  I could even figure out what each one said!  Mimi is thankful for: snow, Jesus, Santa, family, Mommy, the world, animals, and trees.


Most of Leiden's had illustrations with them, which is SO Leiden!  She is thankful for: medicine, Earth, food, Mrs. Casperson (her teacher), the Thankful Tree, plants, animals, lights, school, pictures, and houses.


Mac is thankful for: clothes, apples, pencils, pets, Thanksgiving, food, mom, snow, colors, toys, Jesus Christ, and the Thankful Tree.


I didn't take a picture of my leaves, but I am thankful for: my body, hugs, cloudy days, doctors, Leiden, Mac, Mimi, turning leaves, the Savior, the Sacrament, hot chocolate, the military, warm houses, and friends.  This is a wonderful tradition that I look forward to every year.


As well as THIS tradition!!!  Here we are, mid baking time, when the bird gets turned onto its back, and we put the bacon on!  Mom is always so relieved when this part is over, because then she can do her final kitchen cleansing and disinfection from raw turkey juices!  It's nerve wracking, really.  My least favorite part about cooking a turkey...all that raw meat everywhere.


She and my dad were having way too much fun with the awkward turkey legs.  Many turkeys come with them bound with plastic, but these were just sprawled out.  My dad had to take some twine to them to get the enormous bird to fit in the roasting pan!


The girls came by later in the afternoon, after already having Thanksgiving dinner with Brad's family.  Grandmere had been thoughtful and forward thinking by getting them a little craft to work on while we waited for the feast.


Finally!  The bird comes out and we get ready to carve!


I think the bacon is the most coveted bit, though...I know Madison eats as much of it as he can!


We had a good crew for dinner this year.  There had been a lot of illness at my mom's house, and we were just glad to be together as a family!


The star of the show was probably Master Thomas, who got to eat some baby food turkey!  Um...yeah.  This face was hilarious.


Me and Mad.


A funnier me and Mad, with mom photobombing in the back!


Sweet little man on his first Thanksgiving!


Cuddling with my girls is one of my favorite things to do, when they'll sit still long enough to do it.


I made pumpkin pie, of course.


It was a lovely evening with family and good food.


Happy Thanksgiving from the Macdonald girls!

No comments: