Saturday, February 16, 2013

Butterfly Birthday

Another picture rich post, here!  Mac's Butterfly Birthday was today!  Here is her finished cake, with its swarm of butterflies flying right up off it!  I have to say, it turned out exactly as I had planned in my head!  These butterflies were so pretty.
 
 
I laid some bigger ones out on the table.
 
 
And after spending about 30 minutes with Brad untangling the garland I sewed, I put it up in bits.
 
 
There were pretty striped straws with butterflies on them.
 
 
And a pretty little girl with butterfly clips in her hair.  She wore her shirt with a big flower on it 'because I don't have a butterfly shirt, but butterflies like flowers'.  I totally should have made her a butterfly shirt!!
 
 
First on the docket after the little girls got there was crafts!  We made two different kinds of butterflies.  One from paper plates and foam with googly eyes and antennae.
 
 
And the others from a baggie of fruit loops cinched in the middle with an antennae, googly eyed clothespin!
 
 
They turned out really well.
 
 
Things were moving faster than I had anticipated, so after the game of pin the butterfly on the flower, we got out some drawing paper and let the girls draw.  Mac, of course, drew butterflies!
 
 
Then it was time for cake, at which point I realized I only had rainbow candles from last year.  Yes!
 
 
Happy Birthday, dear Machara, Happy Birthday to you.
 
 
Making a wish!
 
 
The cake was strawberry (flavored and colored mostly by strawberry jello!) with vanilla frosting per Mac's request.  It was good, but not my favorite.
 
 
The scallops worked out better than I anticipated.  I don't ever practice these things beforehand, so I'm always pleased when I start a new frosting technique the day of a party and it works!
 
 
Of course, who am I kidding--would any of them really cared if it hadn't?
 
 
Last was presents, which Mac was very excited about.
 
 
What a party!  Mimi is somehow missing from this picture, but it was a cute little set of girls and a fun little party for Mac.

No comments: