Friday, December 27, 2013

My dad and I determined that we should figure out how to use our sun ovens.  We meant to do it in the spring while I was living with them, but we never got around to doing it.  Well.  Today we broke it out, and took it to town!  Kids were riding by on their bikes, probably wondering what on earth we were doing.


It was a success, although through some mistakes.  We made some bread, and some meatloaf for lunch.  We forgot to latch down the glass door on the top, so we lost some valuable heating time in the beginning, and then everything but baked goods are supposed to be covered.  We didn't cover the meatloaf, so the moisture from the meat condensed on the glass door, affecting the sun's ability to warm the oven properly.  However, it did work, and it was as if it had been baked in the regular oven!  Pretty amazing stuff, really.  I'm so glad we got it out, and that we were able to do a run with it and experience some success.


The bread was taken out too early, so it fell, and was a little bit doughy, but I think after another try or two we would have it down pat.


Almost expecting her to say no, I tentatively asked my mom if she wanted to go shooting today.  To my surprise she said yes, and off we went!  She had a blast!  I think I have managed to hook her after just one visit.


And she did a pretty darn good job for a beginner!  My groupings are getting better and better, which is what I want to see.  I'm even seeing shots in the white!  What a fun afternoon with my parents!

No comments: