Monday, January 23, 2017

Homework: Bake a Cake

Mac has been very excited about a bit of homework she has had.  She had to choose something to teach the class, then do it, provide pictures to help instruct them, then write down the how-to.  It was a really cute idea, and she chose to bake a cake!


I supervised, but she did all the work.


She chose a jelly roll cake, so after it came out of the oven, she had to roll it up to cool to prevent cracking later.


After it was cool, she spread raspberry jelly over the cake and rolled it up again!


Cut into slices, and sprinkled with powdered sugar!


She was able to take her cake to school, and while the kids weren't allowed to eat any, due to it being homemade, she enjoyed showing off her masterpiece.


I know I had some pretty cool homework assignments and projects, but I'm pretty sure I never got assigned to make a cake!


On the completely opposite end of the spectrum, Jon, since I met him last year, has been off and on, but mostly on a ultra low carb/high fat diet.  Lots of meat based protein, tons of fats...butter, oils, and very little bread/sweets/sugar.  He has been coming over for dinner pretty much every single night now for about a month, and I finally decided I would join him and see what it's all about.  Apparently this diet burns fat like crazy, even though you're eating a ton of fat.  Carbohydrates are what cue cells to store fat as fat.  If they are deprived of carbohydrates, the body is actually able to use fat as a fuel source, hence the high fats required to maintain energy for the diet.  I am by no means overweight, but I was interested to see if I would see changes in my body as it burned fat and I worked to maintain muscle and other lean body mass.  There is an orientation period of 10 days, at the end of which we get to have carb night!  This is literally what feels like a cheat binge...a prolonged 8 hours in which you eat all sorts of carbs.  This tricks the body into releasing even more fat cells for energy, and then the cells are destroyed, which means they can't store fat anymore.  Then the next morning it's back on the horse for another 5 or so days, and rinse and repeat.  I know I have been addicted to sugar for some time, so I'm under no delusion that this will be easy!  But I'm excited for the challenge and to see what improvements I can make to my body.

Today was day one, so here goes!  First carb night is February 3!  I am honestly completely surprised I made it through a day without sugar, which is all the more reason to take this eating plan on!

No comments: