Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Peter Rabbit

A couple weeks ago our backyard neighbor hollered over the fence and he told me he had caught a bunny in his considerable backyard garden.  He had somehow determined who the owners of the pet bunny were and left them messages to come get the animal.  They hadn't replied, and he was getting a bit peeved.  Then I forgot all about the conversation.  Fast forward to today.  I went outside to get something in the backyard, and he hollered over the fence again.  He had seen the bunny over by our watermelon plants and wanted to warn me to keep an eye out for him.  I thanked him and went to investigate, but thankfully didn't see much damage.  Then I had the thought to go look at the garden.  Well dang it if the bunny wasn't RIGHT THERE, STUFFING his face with our vegetables!  And it looked as though he had been there for a few days, because everything was decimated.  Absolutely destroyed down to almost the ground.  While he was super cute, I was so furious.


Furious enough that I determined that if he was someone's pet, he wouldn't be scared, so I was going to get him and call animal control to come take him away.


The girls of course, though bunny was super cute and thought he'd make an excellent pet.  Um, no.


He finally got close enough that I could pick him up and I put him in a tall box he couldn't hop out of.


I called animal control, and set Mimi to guard the box with a shovel on top to keep the lid closed.


About 15 minutes later, animal control showed up, and that was the last of Mr. Bunny.  And apparently the last of our garden.  I'm so sad.


No comments: