Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

Today was one of those days that is full of moments where you want to hit yourself with a bat. This morning, without thought, I sent my mom off to work instead of taking her so I could have the car.  Then, it dawns on me that it's Grandma's birthday, and I really need the car so we can go see her!  And Grandpa is doing a little better at the hospital, so we need to go see him.  My parents were too busy at work to bring the car out, so I loaded all our little things together, grabbed an umbrella stroller, and we walked to the bus stop.  The bus took us from near my parents' house to the TRAX  station on 4100 S., where we picked up the train to take us to my parents' work.  Mimi did a great job on the bus, only getting squirmy the last 10 minutes or so of the ride.


The other girls were super excited to go on both a bus and a train! 



Getting on the train was almost super scary.  I had the 'layout' of the buses and the trains confused, thinking that the bus had steps up and the train was a flat entrance.  It was the other way around, which didn't matter when boarding the bus, but mattered a great deal when trying to board the train and go up steps with Mimi in a stroller.  The girls had stepped up onto the train, and I couldn't get Mimi up the steps in the stroller.  The doors started beeping, and I thought, "What the heck should I do?!"  Thankfully, a kind man came to my rescue and lifted the stroller up the steps.  A bit to my frustration, the doors beeped for a while longer before they actually shut.  If I had known I had that much time, I wouldn't have been so panicked.  But, all was well.  The car was retrieved, and we met up with Grandma and Grandpa at the hospital that afternoon.  Mimi was, of course, all over the place in the hospital room, so that visit was short lived, but then we took Grandma across the street to dinner for her birthday, where we met up with Andy, Emily, the boys, Colin,and Joy.   


Mimi had some spaghetti of Mac's and it was truly a sight to behold.  She hand fisted it and slurped away. 


The other major forehead-slapping moment came when I realized I didn't get any other pictures of Grandma that birthday night!

Happy Birthday, Grandma!  We're so glad we could see you on your special day!


No comments: