Friday, July 1, 2011

Our First ER Visit

Mimi loves to do body slam.  She just loves to throw her little/big body around and wrestle.  Today, I, in my infinite wisdom, got on the girls' mattress with her today.  It was on the floor and I laid down on it, and said, "Mimi, body slam!"  She did a body slam, all right.  Right into the wall.  Whammo.  I immediately grabbed her and pulled her up into my arms, just in time to see her eyes roll back into her head and feel her body go limp.  Holy smokes.  I have never been so afraid.  I said her name sharply, and she came to right away.  I knew that if you lose consciousness you have to go to the hospital, so I made the requisite calls to the nurse line and insurance and off we went.  While I was on the phone with the nurse line and the insurance, she had perked right up and was acting totally normally.  Saying her words, pointing and smiling, and all the rest.  This, at least, was reassuring, but we still had to go and check her out.  Not exactly how I wanted to spend the day.  She did not appear to be worried about any of it. 

She did great during the CT scan, which I guess is really rare.  They lay her down on the table, and position her head, and then I have to lay down on top of her to keep her from squirming.  I had to hold her head and keep it from moving.  The tech said he's never seen a child be so still.  She has a minor concussion, which is really only evidenced by the short loss of consciousness, and the CT scan showed no abnormalities.  All of this is good.  The not good part?  Keeping her from getting another one in the next few weeks.  She is movement in a little body.   To boot, she has started climbing on things--chairs, couches, low tables, really anything that provides a physical challenge.  Not to mention that she kind of careens around, anyway.  She always seems to be in a near miss with things.  We'll be keeping a close eye on this one the next couple weeks.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it, but so glad she checked out okay.  No more body slams.


No comments: