Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stitches!

Oh, dear.  Tonight while I was helping girls get their teeth brushed, I heard Mimi start to cry really hard from down in the basement.  She came running up and I met her, and there was blood everywhere.  Calm mommy mode kicked in, and I hauled her to the bathroom, dripping blood as we went, to try and clean her up and figure out where she was hurt.  After I got all the blood off her face, I was astounded to see that there was really just two small cuts.  One on her forehead, kind of between her eyes, and another under her left eye.  Good heavens, they bleed a lot.  The one on her forehead slowed down bleeding, but was still going pretty good.  The one under her eye worried me, so I called my mom to race out and stay with the other two while I took her to urgent care.  She was fine once she calmed down, and we were able to determine that she had pulled the craft room door closed really hard, which banged the door into the pull up bar I had in the doorframe.  This somehow caused the well wedged bar to come crashing down, and hit her in the face.  The  poor sweet thing.


The doctor checked them out, and wanted to put stitches in both, so I was glad I went.  Mimi did SO well.  She was super still, and didn't cry or fuss.  The doctor and nurse were literally astounded that she was so calm and said that much older children and even adults don't even act that well.  She got 5 stitches in her forehead, but when the doctor tried to stitch under her eye, he didn't like how the cut puckered, so he opted for skin glue. 


They look pretty rough, and will for a few days.  We go back to the doctor to check for infection in three days, and then to get stitches out a week or so after that.  Poor girl got to bed very late, but seemed fine.  I will need to put the pull up bar in the doorway only as I immediately need it. 


This little Mimi is far more accident prone than the other two girls.  I'm not sure if it's her big body that she's still growing into, or her personality, or what, but she's our only visitor to the ER, and the only one that has ever gotten stitches.  So far.  :)

No comments: