Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wisconsin Dells

We just spent a fun weekend at the Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells. For those of you who don't know what Wisconsin Dells is, it's a little town in Wisconsin that has made an entire industry out of outdoor and indoor water parks. Totally fun--especially in a place that gets really cold in the winter. We went up with some friends and got a condo for the two nights, and spent some quality time going down waterslides, wallowing in the kiddie pools, and playing some serious Rock Band. Someday you should all hear me sing Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The weekend promised to be eventful when Brad's grandfather passed away early last week and the funeral was scheduled for Friday. We had already paid for our condo and it was too late to be changed. So, off Brad went to SLC to attend the funeral, while I stayed here with Mac (who currently has a cold), and went up with the Barringers in their minivan. On the way there, we stopped twice because Leiden kept telling me that her tummy didn't feel good, which is what she always says when she needs to go to the bathroom. I didn't think anything of it, until we stopped and she didn't go. We got back in the car, and she was looking really pale, but I thought she was just tired. Then, inevitably, she needs to go to the bathroom again, and it wasn't pretty. I thought the worst was over, and then she vomited for her very first time, all over herself and her carseat (it was remarkably contained--thank heavens) about 45 minutes outside of our destination! Uuugghh!!

That right there is my phobia. If there is any chance that someone is throwing up due to illness, I start shaking and my stomach clenches up, and there is some serious OCD with the issue. Even when it's my own poor child, crying and needing me to help her! This was long ago established as Brad's territory for that very reason, but was Brad with us? No. Luckily, my friend Kelly is a doctor, and totally unfazed by that sort of thing, so she helped me clean up--let me rephrase--she cleaned up my child for me while her husband cleaned the carseat as best he could at a gas station.

To my everlasting thankfulness, that was the end of the episode. We got to our condo, I threw in a bunch of wash, and Leiden ate two pieces of pizza and a banana before running around until an hour after normal bedtime with no adverse effects.

The rest of the weekend was so fun, except for my constant worrying that we had all contracted the stomach flu. (I'm still worried.) Leiden did so much better than the last time we were there, playing in the water, and even going down some seriously scary slides with Brad! There weren't any amazingly awesome pictures, so I just put the whole set here. Mac also did great, despite having a cold and working on 4 teeth!

When we weren't in the water, we were playing Rock Band, which is also really fun. Believe it or not, I have a difficult time purposely making a fool of myself, so it's a good game for me to move outside my comfort zone. The first night, we stayed up until 2 AM playing, and the second night, I fell asleep on the couch by about 11:30. I'm getting old. Thanks for a great time, Espins and Barringers!

No comments: