Monday, February 29, 2016

Cake Prep

Man alive.  I had such high hopes for this cake.  I knew I would need to plan ahead and try out these fondant flowers ahead of time, so I attempted it today.

This was the inspiration.  Gorgeous petals in the faintest of ombre.


Somehow, I always fail to remember that what I see on Pinterest is not always recommended at home!  These people are professionals!  I spent forever the last week or so finding the right tools and cutters to get the petals shaped correctly, and finally tried it out.  Yeah.  It isn't going to work.  I made homemade marshmallow fondant, and I had a hard time getting the consistency right.  It had to be rolled pretty dang thin, but then it would crack and be too dry.  Grr.  So I tried not rolling it quite so thin, and the 'flowers' you form just went plop.


The petals were just too heavy and too thick.  And I don't have time to figure this out several times before the baptism.


Especially because this little man is here with us today.  It's just not going to happen.  So i will consult Pinterest and come up with plan B.

No comments: