Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thanksgiving Prep Part 2!

It's turkey brining time!!  We are going to smoke this bird in the Traeger, and it must brine.  I super duper cleaned out this big bucket we have, because it's the only one big enough for the bird, yet will fit in the refrigerator overnight!


Here is Mr. Turkey, ready to go into the brine.  Then it was time for clean up.  Which is seriously extensive and thorough.


I was so excited to go out and pick these to eat with dinner tonight.  I went and showed the girls, and they wanted to try it.  Leiden said there was weird grey stuff on it, and I saw it and thought it was just how they look underneath the florets.  Well, I started cutting it up, and there were aphids EVERYWHERE just under the florets.  THEY were the grey stuff.  It was really gross, and I feel super bad that Leiden ate them!  ICK!!!  We will have our work cut out for us next summer keeping them under control.  This was a bit of a blow, because that was it!  We have had SUCH problems with the aphids this year.  They are terrible pests.


Late tonight I was working on the pies for tomorrow's dinner with my family.  I have a delicious pie crust recipe that never fails me, and this year I made it with vodka, which helps it be even more flaky.


This guy will be our giant pumpkin pie.  Honestly as the years go on, I like pumpkin pie less and less, but it is a Thanksgiving staple!  I also whipped up a lemon meringue, which is what I'll be happy to eat tomorrow night!

No comments: