Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Borrowed Lens

A friend of mine asked me to take some pictures of her family for her Christmas cards this year, and my nice lens was in the shop, so I decided to rent one. I waited too long to get it, so they only had a nicer lens available. Awesome. So, I rented the Canon 50mm 1.2L, which is a fine piece of glass. The first two pics were taken with my 28-135mm, and the rest with the 1.2.

Miriam 11/4/10: In decent light, the zoom lens does very well.



But you also get lots of 'reflective' color. I don't know what else to call it, but the lens has a hard time seeing that Mac's face on the left of the picture should be closer to the color on the left side. Our eyes make the compensation a little better than that, but the zoom lens doesn't.
POTD 11/4/10:



POTD 11/5/10: Taken with the 1.2, these pictures are great. I really need to do better at remembering that if Mac's hair is not hanging in her face, you can see that she's got this great skin (which shows up scratches really easily), and she's all eyes...and teeth sometimes!


It's the funny smile stage, that I'm beginning to think lasts years for some kids. I think she gets a little bit bashful, and so her smile is different.
Miriam 11/5/10: Her favorite pasttime in all the world--chewing on something. It's astounding how instinctual that is for them!
My friend was able to get some pictures she liked for her cards, so the whole mission was a success. I took somewhere around 600 pictures for her, so there had better have been some!

No comments: