Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gappy

Leiden's 'wiggly' has finally come out!  We were sitting at dinner, and she was eating smoothie, of all things, and I could just tell she was uncomfortable with this really loose tooth.  I've been trying really hard not to nag her or bug her about it--I would love to just get the thing out, but she freaks out when I offer.  She stopped and started eating a bite a couple times, and I could literally see the tooth coming out of its spot.  I asked her if we could go look at it and try to get it out.  She said yes!  So we took off to the bathroom, and she went through several phases of crying and then calming down, and then wanted to say a prayer.  She prayed that she would be brave and then she told me she wanted it out.  In my head I'm thinking, "Oh, no.  This means I have to actually pull it out of her mouth!"  She wanted to do it in her bathroom, so we ran up.  Somewhere between levels, she started freaking out again, crying and carrying on.  I told her we didn't have to do it, but it would make her feel so much better.  She worried about it bleeding.  I told her it would probably bleed a little, but that it would stop very quickly.  She said, "Mommy, if I get the tooth out, I could eat sandwiches like this (holding her hands directly in front of her mouth), instead of like this (holding her hands to the side of her mouth)."  That comment made me sad, so I renewed my own courage, and explained to her that Heavenly Father could only help her be brave if she tried her hardest to be brave on her own.  I had her take a few deep breaths, grabbed a tissue, she screwed her eyes tight shut, and I grabbed the tooth!  Success!  After some hysterical laughter/tears, she was able to go back downstairs and eat her dinner!

She really was brave, and Heavenly Father helped her with the rest.  No other teeth are nearly as wiggly as this one was, so we might get a little respite before the next.

No comments: