Thursday, April 19, 2018

Washington DC Day 3


   Today was another day on my own.  And another slow start!  I suppose part of the point of a vacation is resting, so I’m justifying it that way!
   Today I headed to Arlington, which I’ve never been to.  I got there with just enough time to make it to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for the changing of the guard.  It was really fantastic to watch.  I enjoy celebrating our military, and it’s touching to see the care taken for these fallen men.
   The soldiers standing sentinel are members of the Old Guard, one of the most elite groups of soldiers in the Army.  It’s an extremely exclusive group whose members take great pride in their charge.


Arlington is home to many state funerals, and they have this enormous outdoor amphitheater where the funerals take place.  The inside was blocked off, but it was pretty impressive.


We are here in DC (regrettably!)  just a bit past cherry blossom season, by honestly only about a week, and I didn’t see any yesterday, but there at Arlington, there were still pink blooms.  I don’t even know if they were cherry, but they were beautiful!


So many fallen!

No comments: