Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Leiden's First Day of Preschool!

Leiden started her preschool class today! She goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-11:30 AM. She was really excited, and of course we had to go get her a backpack. So we haul ourselves all to WalMart, where she spots THE backpack she wants. It's a garishly colored Barbie backpack. I hate brand stuff for kids!! She really likes the Barbie movies (Barbie in 'A Christmas Carol' comes out in November...oi.), and so she saw this and that was that. I tried to steer her toward another generic backpack (which, oddly enough, was twice the price) with polka dots, but she wasn't having any. Oh, well.


Her preschool class is actually held in a park shelter, so there are lots of windows and it just feels like a preschool room!

Her teachers are Ms. Beverly and Mrs. Kathy, and they told me she did great, although she was very quiet. I knew this would be the case, and is in fact one of the reasons I am really glad she's in a classroom. She needs to learn how to interact with adults and in situations that are different from the normal. She told me as we were on our way to Wendy's for a special lunch that she didn't go potty at school, and then promptly told me she really really needed to go--as she's bouncing up and down in her seat. She can go completely by herself at home, but I knew stalls would be a problem. Not to mention the fact that she is pretty uncomfortable with the noise flushing toilets make. (I think she's been sitting on a few too many airport toilets that have a nasty habit of flushing while you're sitting on them!)
All in all, a great experience, and she said she wants to go back on Thursday, so it's a go.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Leiden has Ms. Kathy and Ms. Bev as teachers! How cool. I love them both and you will too. The oldest 3 kids had them. Tell them I say hi!