Sunday, February 20, 2011

Washington DC: Day 1

This is a map of the main part of where tourists might go. The black line is where we walked today! We started at the archives and went forever! We took a ton of pictures, but I'm only including some of the ones that Brad and I are actually in.





After the Archives, which is where the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence is (and where you, understandably, can't take pictures), we went to the Museum of Natural History. (Think Night at the Museum) This place is wild. They have bones of thousands of animals--many of which are now extinct. It is fascinating to look at these bones and think that they were once roaming the earth and seas. This is a jawbone from an extinct shark.





Elephants






Gross giant squid






We saw an IMAX movie on the Grand Canyon that was really cool, but faulted all of us for not taking better care of the Colorado River. I guess it's my fault that the Colorado runs through thousands of miles of desert, and that Lakes Mead and Powell evaporate billions of gallons every year into the desert atmosphere. While water conservation is important in the west, and I think we have a responsibility to take care of what Heavenly Father has given us, it is certainly not my fault that the desert and water do not go together well. But Brad looked smashing in the 3-D glasses.






In the insect section, they had giant cockroaches for people to hold if they dared. I did not. Brad did. Look at the size of that thing! I guess growing up in St. George kind of dulls your sensitivity to bugs.



After the Museum of Natural History, we wandered down the mall to the Washington Monument. It really is enormous. And the lady we handed our camera to did not get the whole monument in the picture.



Me at the White House, which is somewhat less imposing in real life than movies/history would have you believe. I was shocked at how 'small' it looked.



Me on the Lincoln Memorial steps, facing the Lincoln Memorial, with my back to the Washington Monument. The reflecting pool is under renovation, so it looks a little more drab than normal. This was just after walking past the Vietnam War Memorial, which is sobering. I didn't realize, but they have the names carved in the order of lives lost. Neither Brad nor I know of anyone on the wall, so we just walked by quietly.



The Lincoln Memorial is lovely. They have him here, in center, and then on one side, the Gettysburg Address is carved into the stone alcove, and on the other, his second (I think...) inaugural address. Brad and I talked about how this statue is a great study in body language. He looks like he's getting up from his chair in the instant he was frozen, and getting ready to go DO something. And he certainly was a man of action.



A dark, because it was getting dark, picture at the Jefferson Memorial. There was a funny little kid there, probably around 10, who was a little fount of information about Jefferson. He was telling his mom all kinds of facts about him, so sure of himself.



I was kind of surprised at the amount of emotion I felt as I wandered around these historic memorials and tributes to these amazing men that formed and have led our country. I have a great love of our country that I've expressed here before, and it was kind of an emotional day for me. I love the Gettysburg Address, and have long loved Washington and Lincoln. Were they perfect men? Of course not. But did they have a lasting positive impact on our great country? Absolutely. I almost think that men like that don't exist anymore--at least not in politics! I couldn't help but wonder what these men think of the direction the leadership of our country has taken over all these years since their time. We're taught that after we die we're busy! But I think that after such a vested interest taken, they probably occasionally request a look at America.


I am so thankful that there were strong men who founded this country. I'm thankful for the founding fathers' willingness to sign over their lives if necessary for freedom. We're also taught that the settlement and organization of America was a necessary step in the restoration of the fullness of the Gospel. The men who formed this country furthered our Father's plan--although probably without that explicit knowledge! They just did what they felt needed doing.
Today was such fun, wandering around amidst so much history. My feet hurt. Tomorrow we head to Mount Vernon.

1 comment:

David said...

I never thought one of my children would e involved in a sit-in at the White House.