Friday, April 13, 2012

Viewing

Busy day today.  Brad's cousin Stacy lost her husband this week, so this morning we went to the viewing, and then Brad stayed for the funeral.


After the viewing, we met my parents for lunch.


Later this evening was my grandfather's viewing.  It was really nice, and there were a lot of people that came through.  I stuck pretty close by my dad and Mad and Joni most of the night.  They weren't there to see me, so I just stayed on call for when my mom wanted to introduce me to someone. 


The mortuary is a lovely place, tastefully decorated and there were flowers everywhere. 


Madison and Joni were there, and they stuck by dad and I. 


These were the mementos chosen to set out for people to see.  My grandfather served in the army, loved the scriptures, my grandmother, photography, and tennis. 


The flowers my mom and her brothers chose were lovely. 
 


Three of my cousins have babies under 1, and these two had fun playing on the floor. 



The girls stayed with Brad and his mom at her house, but came for a short few minutes before going back for bedtime.  Mac and Mimi are far too young to even care about what's going on, but we were worried about Leiden--how she would react, would it freak her out, etc.  So we had been talking about death a lot the last week or so, anyway, with our Easter preparations, and we just continued right up to tonight.  We stressed that Great-Bapa's spirit is no longer inside his body, but up with Heavenly Father, and that someday they will be reunited and we will see him again.  She seemed remarkably fine with all of it.  I guess we'll see if it starts bothering her later.


It's interesting how grief kind of comes and goes.  I'm more emotional than I thought I would be, but it comes in spurts and then recedes again.  My mom said she was fine as long as she didn't hang out by the casket looking at him.  And it's interesting how just the simple act of hugging can make you cry.  When you feel someone gripping you a little tighter than normal.  I'm so glad we could be here, but sad for the circumstances.

No comments: