Thursday, February 22, 2018

I have a renewed interest in embroidery, but cross stitch seems a little too contrived.  In my searches on Etsy and Pinterest for modern embroidery designs, I have found some really cool ideas.  One in particular, when finished, looks like a topographical map.  This really caught my attention, and I thought, wouldn't it be cool to design my own based off of hikes Jon and I have done and loved??

The idea was sound, but I quickly found that some hikes are more topographically conducive to this design than others!  I had originally wanted to do Mt. Olympus, but it just wasn't working out.  So I chose to design an embroidery pattern for Iceberg Lake in Glacier National Park.  Fitting, really, as it was very early on in our courtship...really just dating...that we hiked this trail.


I wanted to use lighter-darker to show elevation, but I didn't want the entire thing to be one hue, so I improvised, using the natural contours to create divisions between hues.  It will be greens, blues, and pinks/reds.  I am really excited about it.


I went to the store and got the greens to get started right away, and Jon helped me order them from lightest to darkest.  Not as easy a task because there were actually quite a few different hues.  Some more bluish green, some more yellowish green, some more desaturated green.  I think we worked out a good order, though, and I'm excited about the project!


I got the pattern all traced onto the fabric, and it's ready to start embroidering!  I've never done a project with this kind of creativity involved.  I'm excited to see where it goes.

Little Meemers, being 8 now, gets to go to Activity Days!  She got to go to her first event with Mac this afternoon, and it went really well.  Noel and Melanie were happy to have her, and they said she did great.  Love her so much!





No comments: