Friday, May 6, 2011

Guess Who's Coming Tonight?!

The Tooth Fairy!


This morning was fraught with drama--even more so than normal. Leiden has had two very wiggly teeth, and the permanent teeth are actually in already, and these little teeth were just hanging out in there, able to be pushed almost flat and turning sideways when brushed. I have been telling her for a couple days that they were getting more and more loose, and would probably fall out really soon. You could tell she was thinking about this, and this morning I asked her if she would like me to help her get the looser of the two out. She said no, and I thought that was it. Then, a while later she comes to me and says,
"Mom, I want you to come help me with my tooth."
"You want me to get it out?"
"Yes. The tooth fairy can come tonight, and I'll get my name on the tooth chart at school."
"Okay, so you want me to get your tooth out?"
"Yes."

Alright. So we head up to her bathroom, and I push the tooth down towards me and feel a little resistance--you know that weird root feeling? I didn't get the tooth out before she freaked out. And unfortunately, looked in the mirror, where she saw a bit of blood. That made it worse. She was literally screaming and crying looking at her mouth. She wouldn't spit because she didn't want to taste the blood, and she wouldn't rinse her mouth because she didn't want to have to spit. So she stood there, crying, while blood and spit gathered there in her mouth. Really? Finally she calmed down and kind of dribbled out the mess in her mouth, at which time I was finally able to convince her that the bleeding had stopped and that it wasn't a big deal. She immediately said she just wanted to wait and let it fall out on its own. Okay.

As she hops off the bus later this afternoon, she comes running up to me with her tooth in hand! She had lost it while eating an Oreo at a little party. No blood, no freaking out. Hooray!
(Her bottom right front.)



Her grin has been gap toothed for almost 3 years, and now we finally have a true champion for the first tooth lost!



I guess she didn't have time to rinse the oreo bits off her tooth before she got the little tooth box from the school nurse. This will go under her pillow tonight, where it can be found.



She says she thinks the Tooth Fairy will bring her either "money, or dollars, or a book".


Mimi's grin is chillin' with her little understated curled upper lip. She gets it from my dad. He's a pro.

No comments: