Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

We started out Mother's Day with breakfast a la Brad. He made us yummy orange rolls with fruit and juice. I got some great stuff from Bath and Body Works that the girls picked out themselves. Knowing this, I was totally un-surprised to see that Leiden picked out for me lotion with shimmer gel.


We then took a family walk to a really great park about a mile from our house. Mimi enjoyed her time there...She really liked the swing. This was the only picture in focus, but there were a bunch of blurry ones with her giant toothy smile as she was barely gliding through the air. What a sweet girl. She really melts my heart.



Mac had an awesome outfit on, a little yellow dress with her pink Peeps shirt underneath. She too, loves the swings, and asks to swing every 5 minutes or so. And of course she wants to be in the baby swing, so she needs even more help.



Sliding is slightly impaired when you just have your undies on under your short dress and not perhaps a pair of shorts. She kind of inched down the slide.



Leiden likes this park, and calls it the 'park with the long slide'. The park is up on a hill, and there is a slide that goes down the hill, literally 20 feet or so long. Then the kids hike up the stairs to go down it again. She was pleased with how the morning was going so far.



Particularly so when a little girl stopped by with her dog and her grandma. If you ask Leiden what she wants for her birthday, she'll tell you she wants a real dog. Brad and I don't know if we're ready for that, yet! We've already warned her that it's not going to happen. But, this little dog was perfect for her to trot around the park with. The woman was really nice to let Leiden have a go at walking a dog. Mimi was interested in the dog until the dog showed interest in her. At that point she was clamoring to get into Brad's arms and away from the dog!



Dinner was a tasty affair, as well. Brad wowed us with steak, caprese salad, and fingerling potatoes. So good. I could never be a vegetarian because I love me some meat!



After dinner we headed out to take a picture of me and the reasons I'm a mommy. They kind of complied. Leiden is of course all about loving Mommy in a picture. Mimi just wants to get on the ground, and Mac didn't appear to want to sit by Mommy, let alone make it look like she loves her. But look at that face.



Leiden's tongue is out, Mimi is still squalling, and Mac is now closer to Mommy, at Mommy's request, but she is still not overly enthused. I just smile on because the camera shutter is clicking.



This is the best one, and I love it. All the girls look remotely happy--or at least are not screaming or frowning, and everyone's eyes are open--although not necessarily looking at the camera.



I love these little girls. Being a mom is so difficult sometimes, especially for a person, such as myself, who is a little bit selfish. I try so hard not to be, but don't always succeed. All I have to do is remind myself that Leiden is going to be 6 in a couple weeks, and my influence over her will likely diminish in the years to come. Her formative years with me are going to give way to school, friends, and all the other things she needs to do in her life. And I'm reminded to love her now. And to love the other girls now. Even when now is really hard. And especially when now looks like the picture above. Thanks for the wonderful Mother's Day, Brad and my little ones! I'm so grateful to be called 'Mommy'.

No comments: