Friday, June 17, 2011

Toads

Leiden went over to a neighbor friend's house this afternoon, and all of a sudden the front door flies open, and Leiden comes bustling in yelling, "Mom, I finally have a pet!" When I finally got my bearings and understood no one was hurt, I noticed she had a toad in her hand. In my house. My response? "Out! Out right now!" She didn't understand why I didn't want it in the house, and so I had to disguise my response as worry for the well-being of the toad, rather than my intense desire NOT to have it in my house because it's jumpy and gross. "We would hate for the toad to jump onto the floor and under the couch! What if Mimi got it?"



Mac was even pretty interested in the goings on.






This was Leiden's response to what would happen if Mimi got hold of it. Eek.




Well, after all that, the pet was short lived. Leiden set it down on her pogo stick on the front porch and came inside to have a snack. When she went back outside, he had hopped away, probably wiping his brow in relief! Leiden was not relieved. She came in crying, "Now I don't have a pet!" Poor thing. We're probably going to have to give in one of these days and get her something. Sigh.

1 comment:

David said...

There is always a goldfish.