Friday, February 24, 2012

Party Planning

A rainbow party is actually really fun to prepare for.  And time intensive.  I had a lot to do because I would almost always rather do/make something myself than buy it.  So I had a party dress to make, a cake to bake, favors to make, games to plan, decorations to prepare, and crafts to gather materials for.  Whew!  Today was busy.  Because I always wait until the last minute.  It's an awesome trait of mine.

The cake is a rainbow layer cake.  I love how the colors turned out.  And luckily, the color of the batter =the color of the cake.  It doesn't change in the heat.


They will be covered with white frosting to look very unassuming.  Can't wait to slice it. 


We blew up tons of balloons and put them in rainbow order all around the sun room. 


Last night I made scented play doh with Kool-Aid.  Then helped out the colors a little with added food coloring.  I was worried about the food coloring bleeding onto hands and tables, but found that because the food coloring is put in before the dough is cooked, it becomes colorfast.  I still wouldn't play with it on a white couch, though.  You never know. 


I made tissue poms in the rainbow colors and hung most of them from the ceiling fans. 


The craft is ribbon rainbows, which I have high hopes for. 


The other party favor, which is also part of the game, are rainbow ribbon wands.  Each wand has 7 ribbons streaming from it.  They were all wrapped up 7 times--each layer wrapped in a different color of the rainbow ribbon, with the first layer being a rainbow ribbon.  The game is played like hot potato, but whoever has the present when the music stops gets to unwrap a layer. 


Like I said, I take on way too much, but I am so excited for Mac's first friend party!  Wish us luck, tomorrow!

No comments: