Friday, August 3, 2018

Michigan Day 2

   Whew.  Last night was a long night for both Jon and I.  Jon drove the entire night and kept us all safe, and I am so grateful for him.  The girls all seemed to sleep remarkably well for a car, despite a 3 AM potty stop.  I wish I could say I got some rest, too, but there were precious few comfortable positions in the very back seat, especially with these hips of mine!  Leiden took the reclining front seat, and Mac and Mimi took the two middle row reclining captain chairs.  They had each brought a garbage sack full of pillows and blankets.  I thought I would like being able to actually somewhat lay down flat in the very back, but the seatbelt and my hips made it absolutely painfully impossible.  After the 3 AM stop, I finally figured out that I could sit up and lean against the windows supported by pillows and then switch to leaning against the back of the seats.  Which is to say, almost no sleep to speak of, despite being SO tired.  My positioning also meant my left lower leg never got raised, so when I got out this morning to change in the bathroom, my left ankle was pretty dang swollen.  Compression socks back on!


All things considered, it went pretty well, and this morning when we stopped we were already in Illinois!  Leiden pretty much refused to accept it was morning and just kept burrowing deeper under her blankets, despite the sun hitting her straight on. 


The last 4 hours I took over driving, and it was rough...I was pretty tired, but Jon was more so.  He is so happy to be back here at home.


We made it to Frankfort, MI about 1:30 in the afternoon, safe and sound!  We went straight to the beach, where Jon hopped out and immediately took the picture of his beloved Lake Michigan.  I simultaneously took a picture of my beloved him.


Upon arrival, the girls got their final surprise gift...their flippers!  They were so excited to get into the lake, and I was thrilled to stretch my legs!


Jon took them out and taught them how to use their awesome snorkel gear.  They took to it really well, which I was glad to see.  I'm so glad he had the idea to buy them.  They were also super interested in just jumping off the pier into the water.  We were happy to oblige!  I don’t think I’ll be doing much swimming, honestly.  I much prefer to stay on the beach or pier and relax.


We walked out to the lighthouse on the pier, and took some pictures.  Hopefully we will get a day or two of good waves...Jon wants the girls to have the full Michigan experience, and that includes waves at Frankfort!  I have already regaled the girls with the story of how I lost my flip flop last year. 
  


I thought the girls would complain because the water was cold, and the air wasn't SUPER hot, either, but they were just full of energy and good spirits!


We headed to our vacation rental after a couple hours and got settled in.  It is really close to the beach in Frankfort, and big and roomy.  Tara, Grandma G, and Grandpa G will meet us up here tomorrow, which we are very excited about.  Here's to a night of sleep, and a great time while here!

No comments: