Monday, August 6, 2018

Michigan Day 5

   This morning we headed out to Traverse City, and visited Old Mission Point.  We set up camp there and Jon and the girls snorkeled, but those of us who stayed on the beach were bitten RELENTLESSLY by biting flies.  I took NO pictures because I had to stay huddled with my skin completely covered to avoid their stinging bites!


Very uncomfortable, we headed away from there pretty quick, and went off in search of the Metropolis shipwreck.  Leiden had been looking forward to snorkeling a shipwreck this whole trip, so I was excited to know she was excited.  We had some snafus, drove on some incorrect roads, and almost ran out of gas before we got to the right place...only to find we had to HIKE down to shore through woods on a giant hill in our flip flops with a giant wagon! 
   This began another adventure, during which Mimi came up with "Adventures in Michigan", a movie documenting all our travels, sure to be picked up by Netflix as an original series!  She is VERY funny.  We temporarily abandoned our wagon and traipsed down a pretty steep hill through the woods to get down to the shore.  In flip flops and swim suits.  I took a little dive onto my bum,
 which was scary, but only suffered some scratches on my wrists.  My sunglasses, however, have been lost to the woods.


Once we got to the beach, we inflated our giant raft so I could recline on it out on the lake while the snorkelers dove down to the wreckage.  It was kind of nerve wracking to get on, because it doesn't stay entirely above the water, so you initially feel like you're sinking, but I got used to it.  They towed me out and I got to see the wreckage from the surface.  I could see just very murky bits.  I did lament not being able to take my phone out there.  There was no way to keep it safe and dry and with me, but I would have liked some out in the lake pictures!

   The raft experience continued to be unnerving...Grandma G was initially going to come out with me on the raft, but she did not like the slight sinking feeling to it!  I mostly felt like a beached whale, precariously perched to avoid being tipped into the water.  You never know how much you use a set of muscles until you can’t use them, and that’s where I was at with my stomach.  I knew if I fell in, I was not going to be able to get back on it!!



We came back to shore and began the trek UP the hill in the woods, where Tara disappeared ahead of us, prompting Mimi to add another installment to "Adventures in Michigan" called: Tara Goes Missing!
   She was just further ahead of us than we thought.  We made it up the hill without incident, and luckily all passed tick check after our woodland trek!


8/6/18 cont’d:  We headed back down the peninsula to Don's Drive-In, and ate dinner, further cementing another family tradition.  The girls got their meals in the distinctive Cadillac meal box, and we enjoyed dinner together.  


The sunset was gorgeous at the bay, catching all the reds.  Tara ran down to the water to take this picture before we headed out.


We topped off the night with a trip to Moomer's for delicious ice cream, the experience complete with the mooing cows being fed in the adjacent field!  Mac declared that ice cream is more delicious when you can see where it came from!

No comments: