Monday, August 13, 2018

Whew.  We got home from MI yesterday afternoon, and are getting settled in again.  I could have kicked myself...on the last day in Michigan I took no pictures!  That last morning was another hotel breakfast, a quick visit with Grandma and Grandpa G, then time to head out, with one pitstop. 
   I actually did take a picture, but Jon’s phone is finicky, and it shut off before the picture had saved, and I didn’t realize it, so there are no pictures of our fun on the last day.  We drove out and met with Jon’s good friends, Rick and Katie and their three children.  We had a wonderful time talking, the girls swam in their backyard pool, and we had lunch and dinner there.  I met them last year while Jon and I were here, and I really like them.  They love Jon and I’m so glad we got to meet with his friends and spend some time with them.
   The long drive home began that late afternoon...far later than we had intended, with Jon going the whole night again, unfortunately not even starting fresh in the morning.  We prayed for our safety and speedy arrival home, and we were blessed!  We will miss you, Michigan!  We have had a phenomenal time!


Today I was able to get in to the doctor to do my 3 hour test, this time with the correct drink administered.  The lab tech was back, and was SO EMBARRASSED that she had flubbed up my last test.  I tried to reassure her, and we got on with the test.


It was actually horrible.  The drink itself doesn't taste bad, just like REALLY sweet flat soda.  But you go in on an empty stomach, and then down it in just a couple minutes.  At first I felt fine, but after about 20 minutes I started to feel light headed, and nauseous.  Enough to think I might actually vomit, but simultaneously concerned I wouldn't be able to walk straight to a garbage can.  So I sat there weighing out the pros and cons to vomit on the floor vs me on the floor.  I chose to stay put on the couch and used my calm breathing I've been practicing for labor, and kept my head down a bit.  The ice chips they gave me to suck on provided a bit of a distraction, and ever so slowly the nausea passed.  After that it was smooth sailing, and I was able to read and just relax.  But oh man, I hope I never have to do that test again!


The test results come back very quickly, and for that I am glad.  They were looking for numbers lower than 95mg/dL fasting, less than 180 mg/dL after one hour, less than 155 mg/dL at two hours, and less than 140 mg/dL at three hours.  LUCKILY all of my numbers were appropriate, although the second was close.  Even one of those numbers too high and they would diagnose me with gestational diabetes.  That diagnosis carries a lot of associated risks, so I would have had to be VERY careful in my diet for the rest of the pregnancy.  I am grateful I just don't have to worry about it!

No comments: