Saturday, April 5, 2014

Lichtenberg

First of all, I got to drive the car to the castle, today, which was super fun.  I haven't driven a stick shift in over a year, and this one is fun, although a little touchy...I think I made Derek nervous, but we arrived safely and entirely in one piece, so no harm, no foul.  We headed to Lichtenberg castle, and found some lunch there...a tiny little cafe/restaurant there at the castle.

Picture overload, beware!  Castles are awesome!  I love wandering them, thinking about what the people were like who lived here, and how long ago it was.  Looking at the ruins, and trying to extrapolate what they were used for...where missing floors and doors and rooms were...they are SO cool.


The defenses are interesting... 


I'm still getting used to having my picture taken a lot by someone other than me! 
 



It's surprising to see what withstands time, and what doesn't.


This tall austere, rectangular building was the keep. 


Staircase upon staircase upon staircase leads to the top, where the windows were used to see far out from the castle...providing the first defense. 


You can see near right on the castle grounds... 


And far, in multiple directions...you would see an enemy advancing from a long ways away. 

This room had good light from all the windows, but the rooms in the rest of the keep were SO dark, and didn't have any fire damage that would suggest light was had from fire. 

Here we are, in all our jetlagged glory...I have a feeling any pictures of me on this trip will have me looking tired, but that's how it goes. 



We had a wonderful day...walking and talking...and here I am, again. 


On our way out, we stopped at a tiny little souvenir shop, and found this plate.  We are going to make a collection...and it's a perfect commemoration of our outing.

No comments: