Sunday, April 6, 2014

Saarbrucken and Schloss Heidelberg

This morning we went out to Saarbrucken, where there is a mall.  We were hoping to find goodies and souvenirs for our kids, and see if we could find Madison a stein.  This was actually a really great little city to visit...a real German city, not a tourist trap at all.  Quite a few people didn't even speak English.  We ate lunch at McDonald's...which was funny because Leiden had asked before I left if there were McDonald's in Germany.  This picture was for her.


We wandered around the city, which was flooded with people out enjoying some beautiful spring weather on a Sunday afternoon.  There was a main drag of sorts, lined with tons of cafes, shops, and things to see.


Truly a lovely day!


While wandering around in Saarbrucken, we went into a couple department stores, looking for steins.  We have been casually looking at rings for a while, now, knowing that that's where this is going, so we stopped to look at their selection for kicks.  We talked about what we want, and preferences, and laughed as we checked out our European ring sizes.  Then Derek surprised me...I thought we were walking out, and he said, 'Pick something, Mercedes.  Something you can wear out of here.'  I was surprised, and not sure if he was serious, and my crazy blush set in.  I was so pleased that he wanted me to have something before he left.  I chose a very simple but beautiful rose gold solitaire with a tiny diamond.  Only one of the girls who had been helping us behind the counter spoke a little English, so they were twittering at each other in German, big smiles on their faces as they looked at me...probably at the redness of my face, but they seemed very kindly amused and impressed at the romantic gesture.  Heck, I was impressed at the gesture.  ;)  I don't think I stopped smiling the rest of the day! 


When we were done in Saarbrucken, it was later in the afternoon, but we decided to race like the wind to another castle in Heidelberg.  This castle was recommended to us, and we were excited to go see it.  It turned out to be a race against the sun, and we encountered an accident on the freeway that literally had us parked on the freeway for an hour as we watched the sun go down.  We certainly kept ourselves amused, however, with each others' company and the ease with which we can be together.


We finally made it to the castle...in the faded light, but decided to check out what we could, anyway.  This castle was in much better repair than Lichtenberg, but as it was night, the buildings were locked up.  It's up on a hill, as many castles are, that overlooks the town below, and the river Neckar.  What a gorgeous night.


There is quite a bit of damage to the outer structures...not having access to the shop or guides or anything like that at night, I'm not sure why.  Perhaps during the war, or time, or events that happened while it was inhabited.

The castle has an enormous dry moat, set deep below the great wall that surrounds this portion of it.  This picture was taken from the walkway on the top of the great wall, looking down into the dry moat.



This is just from a different angle, showing some heavy damage to the round section on the corner.



The castle is almost unnoticeable in the dark background, but we wanted pictures of us together, anyway.


We wandered around, thinking the courtyard would be locked up, but we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.  The big heavy wooden doors were wide open, so in we went.


Again, such a fascination with what life would have been like living in the castle 'compound'.  A very large number of people must have lived here...staff, the royals, etc.


I CANNOT believe we didn't get any pictures of the other side of the castle...if you walk through a small hallway in the picture above, you end up on a big sort of terrace, that overlooks the river and the city.  It was so beautiful at night with all the lights.  We stayed there for a time, looking down at the city, talking, enjoying this last evening before I went home.  I really have no idea what they are technically called, but on the two outside corners of this terrace, there were small, rounded, roofed areas that stuck out a bit further from the wall, like tiny rooms.  In one of these, Derek presented me with my promise ring, and asked me to marry him.  There was no question of my answer, yes!  We celebrated for a moment in the breezy dark, overlooking the river, feeling very encouraged and at peace with this path we are embarking on.  I will wear this ring proudly, and look at it often, reminding me of this beautiful trip and this amazing man whom I have gladly promised to love.  

It was so late, already after ten when we left, but luckily we found a hotel restaurant that was still open for some dinner, where we went and celebrated some more.  A bittersweet evening, for sure.  Feeling a surge of love, and closeness, and rightness, but knowing that tomorrow we say goodbye for months on end.  I will forever be grateful I made coming here happen, and that I was able to spend this time with Derek before he leaves.

No comments: