Monday, March 28, 2011

Learning All the Time

My Primary lesson yesterday was the wise man and the foolish man. I've been trying to make the lessons more interesting and provide them with something to take home at the end--enter rock cookies. I had such high hopes for these. The dough here, pre-oven, looks kind of like rocks! The recipe said they wouldn't spread, so they would end up just like this. And then I would coat them with grey glaze. There are some very clever people in this world. Well, they spread. So they ended up looking more like just regular cookies. But the grey glaze looked good! I suppose I may have had more success if I had followed the recipe exactly, but the dough was SO crumbly when I went to form them that I added a bit more milk. This may have ruined my no-spread capabilities. Then again, do 8-9 year old boys care about anything other than the fact that they've been handed a cookie? Probably not. Mimi was equally excited--she actually laughed out loud--when I put a big dollop of mashed potatoes on her tray last night. And she then proceeded to eat what she could with her hands. (I really need to introduce a spoon.) Best part? She flicked her hands everywhere and mashed potatoes went flying--the ones that weren't already smeared all over her face. This morning Mimi did the funnies thing that really showed me that she's paying attention, even if she's not talking. She picked up an empty cup left by one of the girls on the counter. She toddled over to the refrigerator and tried desperately to reach the ice/water dispenser with the cup. She knew exactly what to do and where to go. She's just not big enough!

No comments: